Therapeutic Tricycles-Selection and Implementation for Clients with Disabilities
Speaker(s): Joe and Dannell Copeland
Co-Sponsor: Frazier Rehab Institute,Louisville Metro Parks, SBAK & KIDS Center
Continuing Education Unit Hours: 3.0
Please join us for this fun 'hands-on' workshop to learn all about selecting, fitting and prescribing a Therapeutic Tricycle for your clients with disabilities.
This course provides training relevant to clinical and recreational practices by providing the knowledge and competency-training in evaluation techniques, equipment selection, community resources and safety training in providing therapeutic equipment for a wide variety of clients.
Therapeutic tricycles provide an avenue to address mobility, fitness, strength, motor planning/coordination and social interaction that are not available to clients that have limited mobility or that are unable to access a typical bike.
The ability to effectively recommend a tricycle, seating system and accessories as well as the community resources to provide funding for the equipment is a valuable asset to Clinicians and Recreation Personnel providing service to the community, schools, inpatient/outpatient rehabilitation setting and Veteran/Military programs.
At the Completion of this course the participants will be able to:
- Identify Clients that would benefit from a therapeutic tricycle
- Identify community resources to acquire appropriate equipment for the child or adult client
- Access current research and literature to support evidence-based incorporation of therapeutic tricycles into a plan of care
- Set objective, measurable goals utilizing a therapeutic tricycle as a method of exercise including
- Fitness, strength and endurance goals
- Motor planning goals
- Socialization and access to the client's environment
- Recognize safety concerns and be able to provide safety education to your clients that utilize therapeutic tricycles
- Effectively evaluate clients and recommend appropriate equipment and accessories based on their abilities, limitation and size
Registration is required and must be received by Friday, September 27th. Participants will have the opportunity to work 'hands-on with clients in the community who will be receiving bikes during an afternoon event called the 'Adapted Sports Roll Out” also located in the University of Louisville-Crawford Gymnasium from 1:30pm-4:30pm. The bikes being distributed at this event were purchased through the fund raising efforts of the Greater Louisville AMBUCS Chapter.
3.5 CEUs will be offered for completion of this course for a nominal fee of $10.00. Please make all checks for CEUs payable to Kentucky Wheelchair Athletics Association or KWAA.
Please contact Jill Farmer at email@example.com or 502-582-7618 for additional information.
Mail or fax in Registration form
View Larger Map