When it comes to most sports-related activities, your hands are your most valuable assets. Protecting them is key to keeping ahead of the competition. Follow these important tips to stay injury-free all season:
- Have a thorough physical exam from your doctor to determine individual risk factors and your body’s readiness.
- Always wear proper sporting equipment; equipment should fit and meet national safety standards.
- Perform proper stretches before and after the sport.
- Continue to protect old injuries by wearing supportive braces and splints if needed.
- Know and abide by the rules of the sport.
- Eat properly drink plenty of water to hydrate your body before, during and after the sport.
- Get plenty of sleep.
For more information about Sports Medicine at Jewish Hospital & St. Mary’s HealthCare, click here. To learn more about the Jewish Hospital Hand Care Center, please contact 502-587-4799. For additional information on hand care emergencies, call (502) 540-3727.