Kleinert, Kutz and Associates, PLLC
A History of World-Renowned Success
With over five decades of experience, Kleinert Kutz Hand Care Center, PLLC, is world renowned for offering unmatched expertise in orthopaedic, plastic and general surgery.
In 1953, Harold E. Kleinert, M.D., began his practice in hand surgery, one that has become associated with a number of significant world firsts in both hand and microsurgery. Joseph E. Kutz, M.D., became his first partner in 1964. Today, the internationally known physicians and researchers that make up this practice are known as Kleinert Kutz Hand Care Center, PLLC.
Through the Christine M. Kleinert Institute, fully trained physicians from all over the world have come to Louisville to study with Kleinert, Kutz and Associates. Since 1960, more than 1000 Hand Fellows from 50 countries have been trained.
Kleinert Kutz Hand Care Center continues its dedication to excellence, pioneering new medicine and restoring patients the function and quality of life associated with strong, healthy arms, hands and shoulders.
The Hand Care Center, in partnership with Jewish Hospital and the University of Louisville School of Medicine, performed the World's first:
- Successful hand transplant
- Reported repair of a digital artery
- Reported successful technique for primary flexor tendon
- Repair in "No-Man's Land," the fibrous sheath of the flexor tendons in the hand, specifically in the zone from the distal palmar crease to the proximal interphalangeal joint
- Vascularized epiphyseal transfer
- Bilateral forearm replantation
- Bilateral upper arm replantation
Other significant achievements include:
- One of the world's first cross-hand replantations
- Pioneered work in primary reconstruction using free tissue transfer
- National award for research in blood flow to the nerves
To learn more about Kleinert, Kutz and Associates and the Jewish Hospital Hand Care Center, please contact 502-587-4799.