Blue Distinction Centers of Excellence
Continuing to provide excellence above all, both Jewish Hospital & Sts. Mary & Elizabeth Hospital have been designated as Blue Distinction® Centers for Knee and Hip Replacement by Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield in Kentucky. Jewish Hospital has also been designated as a Blue Distinction Center for Spine Surgery.
Blue Distinction puts a high value on research and evidenced-based health and medical information. Anthem is committed to working with doctors and hospitals across the state, which demonstrates quality, cost effective care and better overall outcomes for patients.
The selection criteria used to evaluate facilities were developed with input from a panel of expert physicians. To be designated as a Blue Distinction Center for Spine Surgery and a Blue Distinction Center for Knee and Hip Replacement, the following types of criteria were evaluated:
- Establishment of an acute care inpatient facility, including intensive care, emergency care and a complete range of patient support services with full accreditation by a CMS-deemed national accreditation organization
- Experience and training of program surgeons, including case volume
- Quality management programs, including surgical checklists as well as tracking and evaluation of clinical outcomes and process of care
- Multi-disciplinary clinical pathways and teams to coordinate and streamline care, including transitions of care
- Shared decision making and preoperative patient education
The Blue Distinction designation is awarded by the Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies to medical facilities that have demonstrated expertise in delivering quality healthcare in the areas of bariatric surgery, cardiac care, complex and rare cancers, knee and hip replacement, spine surgery and transplants. Jewish Hospital also has certification in cardiac care and transplants and Sts. Mary & Elizabeth Hospital in bariatric care The program is part of The Blues® efforts to collaborate with physicians and medical facilities to improve the overall quality and safety of specialty care.
For more information on Blue Distinction selection criteria, visit www.bcbs.com. To learn more about Jewish Orthopaedic Care, please call (502) 587-4516.
Note: Designation as Blue Distinction Centers means these facilities’ overall experience and aggregate data met objective criteria established in collaboration with expert clinicians’ and leading professional organizations’ recommendations. Individual outcomes may vary.
Sts. Mary & Elizabeth Hospital