Garon Lifestyle Center's Three Phases of Rehab
Jewish Hospital’s Cardiac Rehabilitation (Rehab) Program at Garon Lifestyle Center is one of the few programs in the country nationally certified by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR).
Cardiac rehab is a program designed to help improve your overall health by identifying and reducing the risk factors that lead to cardiovascular disease and promoting optimal life-style changes. Both the American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology recommend cardiac rehab.
The goal of rehabilitation through wellness education and exercise is restoring patients to their healthiest capacity possible so they can enjoy life. A team of registered nurses, exercise physiologists, dietitians, monitor technicians and counselors will coordinate an individualized program to meet your specific rehab needs. Cardiac rehab benefits patients who have had the following heart events:
- Aortic aneurysm repair or replacement
- Coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery
- Heart attack (myocardial infarction)
- Heart failure
- Heart transplant
- Interventional procedures such as balloon angioplasty, PTCA, atherectomy, rotoblation or stent placement
- Valve repair or replacement
For those with these illnesses, the Garon Lifestyle Center can coordinate a program following your physician's guidelines. The Garon team offers three phases of rehabilitation.
Phase I of Garon Rehab begins while patients are still in the hospital, with education about heart disease and instruction for recovering at home. The program is available for hospitalized patients following any heart procedure or complication from heart disease and requires a referral from the individual’s attending physician. Highlights include:
- Group counseling with patients and their families
- Specifically designed educational sessions focusing on understanding how the heart works, the effects of illness or surgery and home instructions
- Facilitating referral to Phase II of the cardiac rehab program.
Phase II of Garon’s cardiac rehab is a hospital-based outpatient program that offers a variety of strength building and aerobic exercise, building in intensity as recovery increases. This program is also available to patients who were not hospitalized at Jewish Hospital. A referral from the participant's physician is required to enter the program. Highlights include:
- A variety of aerobic exercises, strength training and flexibility exercises to condition and maintain cardiovascular endurance and functional ability
- One-hour exercise sessions held three days a week for up to 10-12 weeks
- Educational classes with registered nurses, registered dietitians, counselors and exercise physiologists to learn risk factor modification and stress management
- A book and video library with information on various subjects related to heart disease and heart healthy living
- A stress management seminar for participants and their family members.
Phase III of rehab is a supervised exercise program whereby individuals learn to self-manage their overall heart health. It is designed for those with known risk factors and existing heart problems.
This phase requires a referral from the participant's physician. Most insurance companies do not cover this particular program however you may be able to use your flex spending account. Highlights include:
- Medically supervised exercise sessions. Patients will be given and individualized exercise plan by ACLS trained staff.
- Periodic telemetry monitoring
- A goal-oriented, independent exercise format to assist participants in maintaining their commitment to a healthy lifestyle
- A book and video library, classes, seminars and individual counseling available to participants and their families.
Phase III Cardiac Rehab is a program you can stay in indefinitely. We offer a versatile, mainstream exercise program in a pleasant, safe and supportive atmosphere and recommend that you exercise at least three days per week in our supervised exercise sessions. The hours of operation are Monday – Friday 6:30 am – 7 pm.
The Garon Lifestyle Center is located at the Doctors Office Building on 250 East Liberty, Louisville, KY 40202. For more information concerning Jewish Hospital’s Garon Lifestyle Center and Cardiac Rehab, contact (502) 581-0110.