Accredited Chest Pain Center
Jewish Hospital is proud to be a full Cycle II Accredited Chest Pain Center with PCI (percutaneous coronary intervention) designation, as stated by the Society of Chest Pain Centers (SCPC). Jewish is one of only 14 Kentucky hospitals to have a full Cycle II with PCI designation.
Jewish’s accreditation as a Chest Pain Center goes above and beyond the required standards to include a full Cycle II with PCI designation, a procedure commonly known as an angioplasty to treat blocked arteries of the heart. The designation means that if an individual is having a heart attack, the goal is to have the patient in the cardiac catheterization lab receiving a possibly lifesaving interventional treatment within 90 minutes of arriving at the Emergency Department.
The SCPC protocol-driven and systematic approach to patient management allows physicians to reduce time to treatment during the critical early stages of a heart attack, when treatments are most effective, and to better monitor patients when it is not clear whether they are having an attack.
Jewish Hospital has demonstrated its expertise and commitment to quality patient care by meeting or exceeding a wide set of stringent criteria and completing an on-site evaluation from the SCPC. Key areas in which a Chest Pain Center must demonstrate expertise include:
- Integrating the emergency department with the local emergency medical system
- Assessing, diagnosing and treating patients quickly
- Effectively treating patients with low risk for acute coronary syndrome (ACS) and no assignable cause for their symptoms
- Continually seeking to improve processes and procedures
- Ensuring Chest Pain Center personnel competency and training
- Maintaining organizational structure and commitment
- Having a functional design that promotes optimal patient care
- Supporting community outreach programs that educate the public to promptly seek medical care if they display symptoms of a possible heart attack.
Patients or physicians interested in learning more about the Jewish Hospital Heart Care Accredited Chest Pain Center can call (502) 587-4252.