Student Nurse Summer Extern Program
The KentuckyOne Health Louisville Area Facilities nursing summer extern program is an eight-week paid externship completed the summer before graduation and offered every May.
The program is designed to enhance clinical, organizational and time management skills, as well as the opportunity to gain direct patient care experience as part of an interdisciplinary team.
Our Nurse Extern program strives to help participants:
- Develop an understanding of staff nurse roles and other health provider roles at JHSMH.
- Increase patient care management, organizational and time management skills.
- Demonstrate greater proficiency with clinical skills.
- Experience professional growth and increased self-confidence in caring for patients.
Applicant must be:
- Enrolled in an accredited school of nursing and participate in the program the summer before graduation.
- In good standing academically
- Able to meet KentuckyOne Health job-related requirements.
- Certified in Basic Life Support.
Summer Externs have the opportunity to:
- Work one-on-one with an RN completing assessments, performing treatments and procedures, giving meds and charting.
- Earn college credit from the program.
- Choose a nursing area of interest, including Medical/Surgical, Intensive Care, Intermediate, Emergency, Surgery, Rehabilitation (Adult or Pediatric), or Psychiatric Care.
- Continue in a part-time position with benefits or pool position capacity upon completion of the program.
- Receive PRIORITY job placement upon RN graduation.
- Current employees must provide an Extern Reference Sheet link to sheet from their direct manager.
- Submit an official transcript from the school registrar with the application.
- Submit a resume with cover letter and two letters of reference.
- Complete the self-assessment portion of the Extern Skills Checklist link to checklist, have a nursing school faculty member sign it, and submit it with the application.
- Complete and attach the Extern Preference Sheet to preference sheet to the application.
Please note that priority placement will be given to Educational Loan Students and current Team Members. Download the application here. Applications are due by April 15, 2013. To learn more about joining our nursing team, contact Stephanie Thompson, Nurse Recruiter at StephanieThompson@KentuckyOneHealthorg.